Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Priorities (Player's Handbook Chapter)

Always strive to keep the main thing, the main thing. Believe it or not, there is more to life than basketball. You have to have balance. Personally, I feel that my relationship with my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, is the main thing. This faith is a life-long challenge, but well worth it.

Family is a close second. My father used to often remind me when I was in high school that blood is thicker than water. At the time, that statement did not mean much to me – but now, more than ever, I appreciate his wisdom. In most cases, your family is your anchor. They will stick with you through all of your ups and downs in life.

You also have to value education. Coach Bobby Knight claims that he has never seen a great basketball player who is not a good student. Athletes and students must both be disciplined. Basketball must not take precedence over your schoolwork. The two must compliment each other and work together for one common goal – excellence!

Basketball is a tremendous tool if it is not abused. It can assist in developing and strengthening your overall character. You might say basketball is a microcosm of life. It can prepare us for many of life's challenges.

Furthermore, this entire experience is about relationships. The coaches, teammates, and opponents you meet in basketball will last a lifetime. And that is much greater than any accolade you may ever receive. If athletics isn't relationships; it isn't anything!

I sincerely hope your involvement in our program will be rewarding and well worth your time.

By Coach jHueser

No comments: